Monday, July 9, 2007

How do I get along better with others in my workplace?

08 Jul 2007, ST

Q I AM a single, 30-year-old software engineer who has been working in Singapore for four years.

Physical disabilities recently forced my mother to retire early.

To me, financial stability is critical because I have to take care of my mother.

Six years ago, I graduated with a degree in engineering - majoring in communications systems. I constantly upgrade my software technical skills with my own resources.

There have been rumours that software engineering positions are being outsourced to countries such as India and China, where resources are cheaper and the professionals, just as competent.

The technical path is also not one that graduates like me would want to consider.

There are also rumours that graduates may not able to secure mid-term contractual jobs after finishing at the university.

I am emotionally very disturbed by the appraisal and comments from some managers in the industrial sector.

One manager said he couldn't communicate effectively with me; another, in a different area, felt he could communicate with me but said that my skills in the research and development area were not comparable to those with PhD and Masters degrees.

I also don't engage in small talk and am a target for gossip.

I suspect I am lacking the emotional intelligence, technical skills and credentials that employees are looking for, although I want a mid-term career in the industrial sector and am willing to put in long hours.

The other obstacle is that I cannot afford the time and effort to attend job interviews.


A THERE seem to be a number of challenges you are facing. If you have not already done so, do 'compartmentalise' the various issues.

Putting everything on one plate could be one reason why you are feeling emotionally stressed out. Looking and tackling them individually or in bite-sizes could allow you to focus and come up with more effective solutions.

On the issues of emotional quotient and communication skills, realising that you could potentially have gaps to close is the first step towards improving the situation.

The next step is to take a much higher level of interest in people.

When you interact with others, consciously initiate questions and get them to talk about themselves.

Listen attentively and keep the conversation going, focusing your attention on the other person rather than yourself.

Another tip is to be more conscious of the impact of your behaviour on others.

For example, before you say something, pause for a second and ask yourself how the recipient is likely to react. If necessary, change some of the words you will use and watch the tone of your voice and body language.

You could consider identifying a mentor and having him or her coach you on how to close the gaps. You may also consider hiring a coach to work with you on this.

To be an effective employee, you have to not only continuously upgrade your technical and soft skills, but also get along well with people, warts and all.

Having said these, you mentioned that one manager said he could not communicate effectively with you - if this is indeed the case, the issue seems not to rest with you but with your manager?

As to the demand for the type of talent and the outsourcing activities you mentioned, there is little that you can do to influence how employers meet their business needs.

What you can definitely do is to continue managing your career as well as upgrading your knowledge and skills to ensure that you maintain your employability.

These days, having a job is not as important as being employable, whether in a full-time or part-time capacity, so you must have the relevant and up-to-date knowledge and skills.

If you feel that looking for an alternative job is a priority, I am sure you will somehow be able to find the time for job interviews.

Paul Heng
Founder
NeXT Career Consulting Group, Asia


No comments: