Wednesday, August 1, 2007

237 reasons why people have sex

01 Aug 2007, ST

AUSTIN (TEXAS) - WHY do people have sex?

Many scientists assume people do so for simple and straightforward reasons such as to experience sexual pleasure or to reproduce, but new research at The University of Texas at Austin reveals at least 237 motivations that range from the spiritual to the vengeful.

In a survey of nearly 2,000 people by Dr David Buss and Dr Cindy Meston, which will appear in the August issue of Archives Of Sexual Behaviour, respondents offered reasons such as 'I wanted to feel closer to God' and 'I was drunk'.

Some respondents of both sexes explained that they had had sex 'to get rid of a headache'. It is No. 173 on the list.

Others said they did it to 'help me fall asleep', 'make my partner feel powerful', 'burn calories', 'return a favour', 'keep warm', 'hurt an enemy' or 'change the topic of conversation'.

The lamest may have been 'It seemed like good exercise', although there is also this: 'Someone dared me.'

The best news is that both men and women ranked the same reason most often: 'I was attracted to the person.'

The rest of the top 10 for each gender were also almost all the same, including 'I wanted to express my love for the person', 'I was sexually aroused and wanted the release' and 'It's fun.'

NEW YORK TIMES


1 comment:

Marci said...

I was totally amused by this article - because we really needed the experts to lay out all the reasons why we have sex. Don't we already know?!?

Great blog!