Monday, September 24, 2007

Talk is cheap if you won't put your name to what you say

24 Sep 2007, ST

By Debbie Yong

I MAY be a rookie reporter, but I already have a pet peeve on the job: anonymity.

Recently, I wrote an article about a news picture sent to Stomp, The Straits Times' online interactive portal for citizen journalism.

The source of one entry, Mr K, had captured what he thought was a molester in action on the MRT. He also wrote about how he hoped his posting would help warn fellow commuters and scare off potential crooks.

Impressed by his initiative and good citizenry, I waxed lyrical to my editor about citizen journalism becoming the moral compass and policing force of the next generation.

Then my bubble burst.

When I called Mr K back for his full name, the once-chatty source clammed up. He refused to reveal his identity despite it being a must for credible news reporting.

Had he a valid reason to withhold his identity, such as for the protection of minors, perhaps I might have understood. But despite my coaxing, he only retorted: 'If you want my name, then I don't want you to publish the article at all.'

What about his original motive of helping others, I asked? What was he afraid of?

'I don't care. The media is unreliable,' was all he said.

I felt betrayed by his cop-out. I also resented his approach, which, unfortunately, is the style of some from the Web generation.

Bloggers and forum users do not hesitate to blame mainstream media for not giving them a voice. But when they do get a platform, some go hush suddenly.

If you believe in something, say it. And if you can say it, why not put your name to it?

The fear of backlash should make you refine your opinion, not cower under pseudonyms and initials.

But despite the rants some of my senior colleagues have against the Web generation, I still believe good can come of it, like 'crowdsourced' journalism, among other things.

The term, coined by American journalist Jeff Howe last June, refers to the speed and mass of the community which can be enlisted in collecting information early in the reporting process.

The professional reporter can then step in later to fill in the structure and verify facts.

But those like Mr K have to come around to the idea first. Just as journalists have bylines to hold them accountable, so too, should citizens who want to make a stand.

Even so, Mr K is not alone. Most people, in fact, are afraid of backlash.

But that is exactly why I love getting a byline. As a new reporter, any feedback - positive or negative - is much appreciated. If there is disagreement, all the better; bring out the coffee, let's discuss it.

Another colleague says citizen journalism will need time to take off.

But why wait when we can start now?


No comments: